Cue the dance party! You’ve made it to the final two steps of Goal Setting for 2013! Wow, everyone’s progress has been so inspiring. Reading your comments, I have wanted to high five and hug each of you! If you are just joining us for this series, it’s never too late to start. There’s nothing magical about January 1. So, get started. We’ll all still be here to cheer you on!
I keep wanting to jump ahead to the making things happen part of this, but I will control myself for now. I like ACTION far more than planning, but taking this process step by step has been ridiculously fruitful for me so far! So, here’s my progress from Steps 7 and 8…
STEP 7: What are you saying NO to in 2013? What is NOT a part of your 2013 Vision? What is or could hold you back from your Vision coming to life this year?
Not a part of my 2013 Vision:
worry instead of prayer
getting too busy
on that note, new projects
working too hard for my clients
times I am lazy with our marriage closeness
fear of what others think of me (I could list that 20 times)
mommy guilt when I am working and helping others
time I waste on distractions and am not actively helping others
email. email. email. I get too much of it.
having too narrow of a focus and not getting outside more
time in front of the computer
clutter and too much stuff
buying new stuff I do not need
waiting to act on something good
STEP 8: What are you saying YES to in 2013?
studying the Bible a lot
studying the Bible a lot with others
talking about the Bible a lot with Ari
acting on what the Bible says
sharing my thoughts about what I’m learning in the Bible more
continuing to serve my parents in as many ways as I can from afar
praying for people when they ask for prayer
praying for lots of people even when they don’t know it
praying for Ari
praying for Grace and raising her with focus and joyful love
learning a lot of new things about business, finance and design that will help my vision grow
getting stronger physically and starting to lift weights again
more adventures with Grace and Ari
very very focused work
continuing to to RAOK’s
building my friends up in faith
playtime with Grace
getting on my knees to pray
leading a Bible study
always staying focused on my core in life and our core in business (same thing)
letting myself have BIG dreams for God
BONUS STEP: What one word really resonates with you for this year?
This was easy for me: SERVE. I have gotten great joy lately out of truly serving people in need with my whole heart and using my talents to bless others. I feel it’s my calling to serve my family, my staff, my clients and friends who interact with me in places like this blog. This year, I want to serve others and build others up wherever I am. This is also really hard for me though because I am naturally selfish and love the comforts of my home and circumstances. I like things to be in order and I have a hard time being my best and serving others when there is chaos. We don’t know where we will be living yet, come July though, so this coming year is a huge challenge for me to press forward into the unknown without all the circumstances in place. Serving is something I can focus on no matter where we are or what happens. I know I will fail many times, but that’s why it’s the word that resonates with me. It’s what I aspire to be – a giving joyful humble servant.
STEP 9: Refine and finish things out on steps 1-8! Solidify your process. Look at your 2013 Vision statement again and re-write it if you need to. I re-wrote mine (I’ll share it on Monday). Add to your lists of what did and didn’t work (I added a ton to mine!). Add more to your YES and NO lists. Refine your 2013 Pinterest board and post your link here. I’ll be putting a round up of the boards together in a future post for everyone to see and be inspired by. Take pins out that don’t fit with your Vision. You know you can take photos yourself and put them in your boards, right? Take pics of things that mean something to you and put them in your board. I’m still working on mine too. Refine everything, add to your lists if needed, and get CLEAR before moving to the final exciting step….
STEP 10: Write out your 2013 Goals! Yeah yeah yeah! You’ve made it! Like I told you from the start of this process, traditional goal setting does not work for me. Goals get forgotten and then they linger and make you feel guilty for forgetting them. Anyone else ever experience this? Well, hopefully at this point you are chomping at the bit to write some real goals down! Goals that mean something. Goals that you can’t wait to conquer. Goals that are very clear and will help you live a better life. So, let’s do it!
There are three rules to this:
1. Read through all of your progress on steps 1-9 again so you have all of it fresh on your mind.
2. Check your goals to make sure they are really good goals. It’s so easy to make goals that sound good or goals that other people have that you think you should have too just to keep up. Don’t do that. The idea here is for you to SIMPLIFY your life, not to give yourself a new to-do list of random things that sound good. Be very specific and careful about what you decide to spend your time on this year.
Do a GOAL CHECK and ask these questions:
– Will this goal help my 2013 Vision?
– Does this goal also help other people?
– WHY would I spend my time on this goal?
– (And a question I’m adding for myself – Does this goal help build God’s Kingdom?)
If the answer is NO, then it’s possible it’s not the best use of your precious time. For example, something I hear often that makes me cringe is, “I can’t wait to book my first $XYZ dollar wedding.” Trust me, I get that money is needed for living. Money is not a bad thing. It is a very good thing, in fact, and can make a lot of good things happen for people when used well. But, when you focus on the dollar amount over all else… well, you cheat yourself of finding real lasting joy in your work. There is a false assumption that high dollar contracts = less work and more happiness. It can mean that on occasion, but focusing on getting the right clients that pay you your true good value makes for a really wonderful life. I could go on and on here, but I hope you see my point. An alternative goal to “I want to book my first XYZ dollar wedding” could be “I want to work hard to build my business and brand value this year so that my art/service/product is the best it can be and so that I attract clients who celebrate my value. Because, then I will be able to do my best work and the client will have a remarkable experience… and I will have a better more joyful life with my family because of my focus and discipline.” Don’t run in circles with vain pointless goals. Get specific. Focus on what really matters to you in the big picture. See your 2013 vision and write down goals that strategically help you build that vision.
3. This is the most important key to Goal Setting. Write down your WHY with every goal. Structure them like I did above and write your goal and WHY it’s important to you and everyone you love. When I was a personal trainer in New York for many years, most clients would come to me with a number and say, “I want to lose 10lbs.” I would ask them, WHY 10lbs? Usually, when we got down to it, it was just an arbitrary number or a weight they were in college. There was no real heart connection to the goal of losing 10lbs. But, when we dug deeper into WHY they became out of shape in the first place and what they wanted most in life, true fitness started to happen. Instead of “I want to lose 10lbs because that’s what I weighed in college” (not very motivating and more self-defeating) we worked on goals like “I want to be healthy and strong so that I can live long enough to walk my daughter down the aisle. I want to live a long happy life so I can be a better husband and show my kids how to be joyful and healthy too.” That works. That is motivating. SO, get real with WHY you want these things to happen and connect them to something that really matters to you. It will help you ACT on your goals instead of toss them aside.
Dream big, friends! Dream big for your heart, your family and what fires you up in life. And take your time writing down your goals. Pray on them, talk them out with people you trust. Do more of what fires you up today. Turn up the music, love on people, get creative and get connected to what matters.
I’ll share my 2013 Goals on Monday (I’m going to take tomorrow and the weekend to focus on doing the things that fire me up so I can write really solid goals) and then we’ll get started on MAKING THEM HAPPEN on Monday, too! Oh, y’all. I hope you are ready for this. I’m doing a really silly giddy happy dance in my chair just thinking about the next part of this process! Let’s do this, 2013!
P.S. Comment with your goals or progress (big or small) here! Stay accountable, inspire others and you could also win a seat to our 2013 Branding Webinar Series that starts on January 16th!
GOAL SETTING + MAKING THINGS HAPPEN IN 2013, PART 4: Cue the dance party! You’ve made it to the final two steps … https://t.co/s2qsHLGm
Whoo hoo! Love this can’t wait to get started!
YAYY! YAYY!! There’s a really nice excitement about all thi process! Thanks Lara!! I’ll be working on them during the weekend!! xoxo
Honestly – I am seriously having a hard time doing any of these exercises. I did start on my what worked and didn’t work lists, but I think maybe I need to go back and start again. And also stop comparing myself to everyone else’s lists. Thank you Lara for the phrase, “There’s nothing magical about January 1st”. That’s a saving grace 🙂
I don’t know you, but I just wanted to take a moment to encourage you while setting your goals. I know you posted this months ago and may have already figured them out, but just remember that if you commit your plans to the Lord they will never fail! xoxo
Wow! Digging deep into the core of my goals, was hard, but the focus has made me see so clearly why I want those things, it’s made me even more excited for this coming year. The WHY of my goals, makes me feel this impending need to achieve them and ACT on them. I’m sure I’ll add more in the next few days… progress not prefection…. right? But I’m quite happy with my list so far, and it’s really giving me focus on my work for 2013… so here they are…
I want to work harder and stop making excuses about being stuck, about not knowing what to do and act, take risks, and accept that failure is okay, because only by acting my fears of making a mistake and focus on creating a business I’m proud of, that is source of support for me, my dream, which will alow me to continue persue that dream and assist my husband.
I want to document my and m’s life more with photographs and words, so we have something to look back at that, so our children will have something to look back at that recounts our love.
I want to continue in persuing adventures my husband and I can have together so life doesn’t become routine and we have unique experiences and build more memories.
I want to stop eating out. So my husband and I share time in our hom together, cooking dinner, having meals, and eating healthy.
I want to stop seeking self assurance from others that I’m doing the right thing, going the right way and that they aren’t disspointed in me, because it will help me be more confiedent in who I am, what I want and the decisions I make.
I want to excercise more, get more time in the gym, because it makes me feel good about myself, makes me more confident and helps keep my mood in check.
I want to focus on God. Putting my trust back into his hands, Reading the bible, taking time to listine to him, going to church and rebuilding a relationship with him, because I know what without him, my life will continue to feel lost and unsure of the direction of my life.
I want to be more grateful and celebrate the little things in my life because that will help keep my focus away from negetivity and my mood from taking a toll on my husband.
Lara thanks so much for taking the time, to write this, it’s helping me so much.
This the first year I’m taking the time to write out my goals, so I really appreciate this project for helping me make sure those goals are refined and valuable!
Make my photography business official
Complete at least 5 free sessions to build my portfolio
Stick to my blogging schedule
Read the 4 photography books currently on my reading list and complete their exercises
Take a vacation
Exercise at least once a week
Make vegetable/fruit juices on a consistent basis
Host a dinner party with Mike at our new apartment for friends and family
Be a great doggy mom
I’m excited to be sharing my progress as I go!
Thank you! So, I started typing out my goals before writing them down and then decided to delete and write first. There is something helpful about putting pen to paper on this. I’ll be back. 🙂
One goal that is crystal clear for me is:
Run 13 races (5K or 10K) in 2013 so that I will be healthy, happy and will have the energy I need to be my best self with my family. Race number 1 is done.
SO much refining to do on this, and adding, but here’s my board! https://pinterest.com/kristineneeley/making-things-happen-in-2013/
Also… I cant stop listening to “I Won’t Go Back” 🙂
Got a long way to go…but chipping away slowly and surely. I’ve already hit a high note last night when I avoided Pinterest in bed and resorted to reading Dave Ramsey instead. 🙂 I keep hearing Lara’s voice in my head, “spend time on what MATTERS”. Thanks!
Just found your blog a week or so ago. Amazing how things fall into your lap at the right time.Can’t wait to share my goals and vision board. Thank you for your words and bravery in sharing them!
I love the way you word things! What a great question to ask ourselves….why do I want this? It really helps identify and name the goal better. Thank you so much for sharing this! I love it!
I’ve loved this Lara. Through this series I’ve been reminded I need to be a Mary: “…but only one thing is needed. Mary has chosen what is better, and it will not be taken away from her.” – Luke 10:42. Working and praying over these last steps, visually refining for clarity: https://pinterest.com/twobevents/mth2013/
Thank you for these steps to really dig deep and brainstorm on what I want to make happen. Last night was big in my house as we didn’t turn on the TV until 4 hours later than we normal would. It fired me up and made me so excited to be connected and talking with my husband rather than buried in our phones (while watching TV) that is common on a typical night. Here is my Pinterest board. https://pinterest.com/Mandyvolpe/making-things-happen-in-2013/
I just finished reading your goals series and journaling a bit as I read. I am fired up to close the computer and open my heart; ready to put my own reflections and hopes on paper. Thanks so very much for your inspiration and for putting Christ in the forefront. 🙂
I finally reached Step 10 and made my goals for 2013! The challenge: #MTH2013 @LaraCasey https://t.co/3fEBP6F8 My goals: https://t.co/mbZt9Pfx
Thank you Lara! My husband and I did the activity together – a GIANT feat for us! I set goals each year, this however was the FIRST time that I was able to bring him into the process and he DID IT with me! Fantastic step for us! Here is our joint VISION as we walk into 2013 together. We are starting our Real Estate Venture together – a big change from my wedding based business – PinkStarDesign.com and his solo real estate business.
“We will say YES to ABUNDANT living and DETERMINATION towards 22 closed transactions in 2013, while keeping a positive working relationship daily by acting in kindness, appreciation, and gratitude – creating a healthy lifestyle while always being focused on prayer, God’s Wisdom and the blessing of AMAZING SUCCESS in real estate.”
My husband and I are meeting tomorrow morning to talk about refining our life and making goals. I think you pretty much wrote what my “No” and “Yes” list would have been. Being a working mom is so tough and doing it all with grace and Godliness is even harder. I appreciate your humility, I struggle a lot with jealousy and comparison so it makes me feel less alone to think that someone like you that appears to have it all together could feel the same way sometimes too.
Lara, you have truly been an inspiration to me for months now. Southern Wedding was the FIRST bridal magazine I received when I got married and have hung on to it a few years now later. I am claiming this year as MY year to make the life I have always envisioned for myself. I was in the process of taking graphic design classes when my husband lost his job in October, and was not able to continue. In the meantime, I am saying YES to being inspired by others, YES to learning more independently about design, and saying NO to doubt. I have released my life to the good Lord above and I know something amazing will happen! My husband WILL find work and I WILL be able to continue with my studies. I would LOVE to be apart of the Branding Webinar Series to gain confidence as a business woman & set myself up ready to launch with other things align. Thank you for posting such beautiful and inspiring posts. I have never been more passionate about creating the life God has intended for me and my husband.
So much still to think through…but this has been so valuable. Thank You for serving others in this way.
My 2013 Vision: “Glorifying God in everything I do and seeking His Kingdom first. Being open to new experiences and embracing change. Building new friendships and sustaining old ones. Focusing on needs, not wants, the present, not the past or future. Working hard and resting accordingly. In 2013, I will be brave.”
Have my first draft of goals completed, but I’m going to take some time to think/pray over them! I cannot tell you how much this has helped me focus on what matters. I’m getting ready to move 600 miles away from my current home to start my first post-grad job and to be able to streamline my thinking and realize what I want to do once I’m there is wonderful. I feel so much more prepared to start my career and make my move with all of this under my belt!
You know it’s a life-long dream to get organized and DO things! I’m going to #makethingshappen in 2013 via @laracasey https://t.co/bqsAqOzq
It is so amazing sitting here going through this whole process, I don’ think I’ve ever written out this much about goals, success, or failure. It’s pretty eye opening. It’s crazy how writing something down some how makes you want to strive for it more.
What are you saying NO to in 2013? What is NOT a part of your 2013 Vision? What is or could hold you back from your Vision coming to life this year?
– trying to over people-please
– orders that come in that just aren’t feasible
– my iPhone in the evening, that’s Caroline and Troy’s time
– putting off keeping up with Quickbooks, I MUST update regularly
– worrying about being a good mother. I know I am, Caroline’s love is unconditional
– trying to fill my plate too much. Don’t take on more than I can handle and still give time to my family
– stress about money. Be smart and God will provide
– stress about building up my clientele. They will come
What are you saying YES to in 2013?
– quality time with my family
– quality time with myself
– quality time with God
– staying organized
– making smart financial decisions
– teaching Caroline more
– having faith in myself as a business owner
– finding a Church home
– spending more time with my parents
– going to visit out of town family
– staying focused on what matters and letting the little things go
– eating healthier. Not as a new year’s resolution, but a life change so we’ll be around a long time for Caroline.
BONUS: My word would be INSPIRE. I want to inspire people. That could be taken as sounding selfish, but I don’t mean it that way. I would not be anywhere near where I am now if I wasn’t inspired by so many people along the way. If I could just inspire one person to follow their dreams, that’s what I want to do.
By the end of the year, take on my business full time
In addition to above, set days and hours and stick to them!
Keep up with social media and website, don’t let it go stale…
Power down from 5-7:30 for Caroline and Troy time
Teach Caroline more, I feel like sometimes I just play and entertain.
Date night once a month with Troy
Start eating healthier and encourage Troy too
Re-vamp our backyard so Caroline can play out there
Pay off cars and credit card debt
Build up savings
Be more GRATEFUL
MY PINTERST BOARD: https://pinterest.com/heatherobrien/making-things-happen-in-2013/
Lara:: I can’t thank you enough for how big your heart is. You are such an inspiration and I honestly feel like God works in people in so many different ways. I am so blessed that I opened that Stationery Trends magazine a few years ago and found the feature on Emily Ley who then opened the doors to you and your business. Following both of you has been an amazing experience. Hope to meet you both in person some day 🙂
God Bless you and your beautiful family!
I think I need the weekend to get these on paper too… I’ve found it ‘easy’ enough to make notes in all the steps, but pulling it all together into one defining vision is a little more challenging for me. But I’ll get there!! Like you I also had a huge cleanout… for the 2 days following Cmas I literally sorted and cleaned every drawer and cupboard in the house… such a cleansing activity in itself! Have taken a few bags to charity but now to sell all the old stock. I want it gone!
My 2013 vision Board:
My personal reflections | 2013 vision: https://www.kaileymichelle.com/making-what-matters-happen/
it really struck me when i read “there is GREAT potential hiding in your Fear.” (in the previous post) <– took my breathe away for a second! so my word for 2013?! is ACTION!! time to take action over my life, and stop letting everyone around me dictate MY life. i'm going to do more of what fires me up, and spend more time with HIM so i can truly ACT on what he wants me to be doing with life!! (because i am the happiest when i'm following HIS will.) i really think it will be something BIG this year!!
https://pinterest.com/amandacporter/ <– my board is still a work in progress!!
just kidding this is the real link to my work in progress pinterest board:
This was so helpful, thank you so, so much for encouraging us to participate. https://jordanmaunderphotography.blogspot.com/2013/01/2013-part-2.html
I’ve been a total lurker but wanted to tell you how much I’ve loved this series. So much has happened in my life in the few years since college that I’ve been passively letting it all happen. This process has really led me to see that I need more focus to truly live the life God wants me to. I’m taking the weekend to fine tune my lists and look forward to putting them in action. Thank you for these posts!
This is something I intend to do after I put my daughter down to sleep tonight. Thank you, Lara.
So I’m JUST joining in and here are ALL my steps together! I REALLY wanted to do this and even though it was challenging to find quiet time with the kids at home this week, I MADE IT HAPPEN! YES!
Step 1 – What worked for me in 2012?
Designed and launched my website with ZERO website design experience (so proud!)
Launched my Etsy shop and am loving it!
Celebrated with over a dozen clients successfully in my first year as an event planner, most of them have become good friends too (very important to me!)
My work got featured online on Pizzazzerie and several other websites
My daughter’s birthday party was published in print in Occasions magazine. A very proud moment for me!
Accomplished a lot of successful organization to make my business work from home, and learned that it will always be an ongoing process
Have given a lot of thought and action to branding my business and am quite happy with the results so far
I am very proud that I have managed to launch and run a business successfully, with 2 kids under 6! AND in additional to being able to do what I love, I closed my first year with a profit too 🙂
Exclusively BF’d my baby girl for 14 months before finally weaning her in April 2012
Planned some well-spaced vacations which were much needed for our family
Extremely grateful that I have the opportunity to pursue my dream while staying at home with my family
My husband quit his job to make things happen too. We now support each other in the process, whether its financial planning or quick lunch dates to keep sane 🙂
Step 2 – What didn’t work for me in 2012?
Being naive and trusting other vendors in the industry to be as detail-oriented as I like to be. I now research better!
Trying to get more FB/Twitter followers. I now understand it’s not the quantity, but the quality
Focusing on my competitors’ successes and failures. This is always a bad idea and I will not let it affect me in 2013
Advertising with a certain website did nothing for my business. You get what you pay for!
Sometimes spent too much time on certain details of my events and not enough on others. Learning to prioritize and set time limits for ‘design day-dreaming’ because its possible to do it 24/7 when you love what you do with a passion
Being around negative and jealous people really gets me down
Step 3 – What fires me up?
Making IDEA! successful
Meeting with my clients and presenting them with ideas and seeing the whole design process unfold
Planning and executing events of course
Keeping my website functional, updated and inspirational
Graphics, logos, watermarks, beautiful paper, gold foil, fonts, letterpress
Successful collaborations with other business owners
Pretty surroundings, especially my work space
Good times with my friends
Lunch dates with hubby
A good, balanced day of playing with my kids, cooking and eating with my family, and working on IDEA! of course!
In addition to everything else above, THIS exercise fires me up so much!! I love lists of all kinds and I’m loving seeing all my constructive thoughts in one place. I believe this is not only helping me now but training me for life
Step 4 – 3 biggest lessons I have learned from what DID work
Staying organized physically and mentally is KEY for me!
Learned what works and what doesn’t on Etsy and I have a pretty clear vision for 2013
Strong branding works wonders and I will continue to work on it
Step 5 – 3 biggest lessons I have learned from what DIDN’T work
Time spent on social media MUST be accounted for and controlled
Plan out my timeline and budget equally for events so I’m being fair to myself and my family
Focus only on my own successes and failures, NOT anyone else’s
Step 6 – My vision for 2013
Find true balance between my family, myself, and my work
Simplify my life
Do only what is important and what makes sense
Strengthen my dearest relationships and friendships
Step 7 – In 2013, I am saying NO to…
Too much time in front of the computer
Single minded focus! While it’s a good thing, I want to do more than just IDEA!, I want to learn more and feel more
Missing out on little fun things with the kids, the very things that make those precious memories
Step 8 – In 2013, I am saying YES to…
Always being grateful and thankful for my very blessed life
Pursuing my love of photography
Being more active outdoors
Getting rid of useless things and making better use of what we do have
Learning how to bake
My word for 2013: BALANCE
My goals for 2013:
Find true balance between my passion, my family and everyday jobs around the house. This entails less time on social media and the phone, more face time with my kids. It also entails using my time wisely so I’m not scrambling.
Set aside time to learn photography
Finally learn how to bake with my 6 year old son, to also make it an activity that he and I can share together… what could be sweeter, quite literally? 🙂
Get out more, even if just for a walk or a tumble in the park. Yes, I WILL make it happen!
I still don’t have my word for 2013 but it will be a combination of GROW, EMBRACE, + ACHIEVE.
My goals are a work in progress and I will alter as needed and as I really narrow in on my focus for the year.
1. Get 8+ hours sleep every night
2. Be down right silly more often + have fun
3. Be a free spirit again; simple pleasures
4. Strive to be the mother God wants me to be
6. Photo road trips
7. Listen to music while shooting
8. Travel photography
9. Landscape photography
10. More newborn photography
11. Try birth photography at least once
12. Illustrator + Wacom
13. Paint with Dad
14. ISLC class by summer
15. Plan ahead for seasons
16. Don’t be afraid to let my light shine, regardless of what others think
17. Forget about what others think
18. Don’t follow anyone who I consider competition (only masters of my art + to learn)
19. STOP comparing myself to others
(Comparison is the thief of joy. Don’t compare your beginning to someone else’s middle.)
20. Don’t feel guilty for taking creative alone time
21. Write and/or journal daily
22. Work on existing story ideas
23. Complete another half marathon | follow training plan
24. Cross train (weights, box, hike, bike)
25. Do the work for rebranding
26. Do 5 unassisted pull-ups
27. Don’t judge or gossip
28. Be compassionate
29. Be a good listener
30. Learn sewing machine
31. Read (classics, business, inspirational)
33. Pray a lot
34. Re-read War of Art
35. Figure out how to get back to school (Design + English)
36. Clear the clutter
37. Stay organized
38. Continually work on our marriage | counseling?
39. Improve our home (hang photos, mantle, shutters, move furniture, paint)
40. Keep a clean + picked up house
41. Stay debt free (exception: mortgage)
42. Put effort in to my appearance (clothes, hair, nails, etc.)
43. Network and reach out
44. Be gracious + maintain perspective
45. Don’t be a bystander in life
46. Don’t be a bench warmer at church
48. Continue to volunteer in both girls’ classes
Thanks so much for this Lara. Im normally anti-new year/new year restarts, goals etc cos I think its all too hyped and then people just set themselves up to fail. Then I just read through your series and you’ve actually fired me up to go through the process and what do you know? I now have goals for 2013!
This whole process has been eye opening and seeing everything in black and white and hot pink makes me realise that by God’s grace I can make meaningful and positive steps to ensure that 2013 is my best year yet!
This is has been so good for me Lara! Thank you! My husband and I were in San Francisco for a few days last week and the shopper in me was so excited, but after visiting a few stores, I couldn’t help but feel that I’m so tired of filling my life with “stuff.” This has helped get me back on track and not only reorganize my priorities, but my heart and my home. I’m really looking forward to what God has for 2013! Know that God is using YOU in a really sweet and powerful way. I so enjoy reading your thoughts, struggles and victories.
Here’s my pinboard : https://pinterest.com/danyacollyer/making-things-happen-in-2013/
Ahh… I LOVE this step. But I’m concerned I have TOO MANY goals. 🙂 Here is what I’ve come up with! Don’t answer emails on the weekends. (Because answering emails only on business days, M-F, will help me save time for what truly matters.) Shut my computer(s) at 5PM every day, using only my phone the rest of the night. (Because I want to force myself to live real life. I want to experience real moments NOT behind a computer screen. I want to make time for dinner-making, relaxing, and soaking up time with Dylan.) Don’t use my computer(s) on the weekend. (Because during our most recent trip to NY for the holidays, I didn’t open my computer for almost TEN days. And I did’t miss it at all. Instead, I have a number of real life memories to show for it.) Earn Sully’s respect. (Because I don’t have it. I love this dog more than I ever thought possible. But he doesn’t love me. Or at least… He loves Dylan MORE. And that’s because Dylan demands Sully’s respect consistently.)
De-clutter the entire house, starting with my office. (Because there are still boxes we haven’t yet unpacked. Holding all sorts of things we clearly don’t ever use or need. I want to live simpler lives with less stuff.) Play with Sully for 10 uninterrupted minutes per day. (Because he brings me ridiculous joy. And I love seeing him have fun. I’m also not the best stay-at-home-dog-momma.) Work in my office M-Th. (Because I have this space and I need to take advantage of it. But even more because I want to separate my work life and LIFE life as much as possible so I can focus on what matters.) Drink out of a 64-oz. water bottle all day. (Because I know I feel better when I hydrate my body. It’s time to start thinking long-term about my health. And drinking water is such an easy step to take!) Take my vitamins every day. (Because of the same reasons above – It’s so easy. I just have to remember and commit.) Pay off my final school loan. (Because we can afford to do it early. Because financial peace is what matters.) Find someone to take Kaley’s place when she’s studying abroad. (Because it fires me up to be an encouragement to young photographers just starting out. And because having someone shoot with me helps me offer the best product I can.) Have our portraits taken. (Because we haven’t had professional shots taken since our wedding, and I so desperately want to capture this stage of our married lives. On the cusp of parenthood.)
Eat real meals at real times. (Because I forget to eat 90% of the time and it isn’t good for my health.) Begin planning dinners for Dylan and myself. (Because I know it would serve Dylan well. Because it would force me to slow down. Because real food is healthy and fun.) Exercise three days a week. (Because three is easier to stick to than seven, six, five, or four. I’d love to get to my goal weight by keeping the goal of just being healthy at the forefront. I’d also like to be in the best shape possible for carrying a baby.) Commit to finishing one room at a time concerning decor until they are complete. (Because I thrive in pretty, clean spaces that I enjoy.) Read books that teach me something. (Because nothing makes me happy like when I’m learning. Reading will force me to slow down and soak in what matters. Hoping to read six books this year – not as lofty as 12-in-12, but not crazy either.) Establish a daily routine. (Because Dylan thrives on routine and I’d like to as well. I can’t imagine anything being better for the work/life balance I so very much want.) Change my name. (Because I feel very convicted that this needs to happen before having kids. I also want to honor my husband by finally taking this step – however late in the game.) Make major changes to our cleaning schedule. (Because we don’t follow it anyway and our stress is extremely reduced in clean environments.) Finish our wedding images, whether myself or via outsourcing. (Because it’s gone too long ignored. Because I don’t spend enough time enjoying them and appreciating the covenant we made.)
Spend time in worship every day. And read the Bible – if not the whole thing, then a good portion of it via a reading plan I’m determined to find. (Because I need to KNOW Him. To grasp who He is. And to let that change me.) Keep Sundays as a day of rest. (Because it’s a commandment, I want to love God more, and it’s what matters)
Go to bed when Dylan does – establishing a healthy and unified sleep schedule. (Because two well-slept people equals a stronger marriage and more energy for what matters.) Begin work each day at 9AM. No earlier. Use the hour before to get ready for work and spend time with God. (Because I want my work-life to resemble that of a non-business owner. Showering, getting dressed, and having my hair and makeup done invigorates me and helps me to work better throughout the day.)
Update my website once a month. (Because staying on top of things helps alleviate stress.) Blog my heart. (Because I feel at a complete standstill with my blog and the community I know it’s had. It’s not growing. And I want it to – to the benefit of my business and my ability to encourage others.) Keep a prayer list. (Because keeping track of who needs prayer will encourage/remind me to actually DO IT.) Use my Simplified Planner. (Because there’s just something about physically writing things down that fires me up. I know this is a tool that’ll help me keep life simple and focused on things that matter.) Determine specific times to log into Facebook, Google Reader, and Twitter throughout the day, as opposed to having them open 24/7 to distract me at any moment. (Because productivity will save me time. Time to do things that matter.) Make our bed every day. (Because it sets me up for success!) Practice regular and random acts of kindness. (Because unexpected opportunities to bless others blesses ME.) Be better at loving my husband through acts of service. (Because I want more than anything for Dylan to feel loved through his specific love language.) Learn to control my fear. (Because fear wastes time.) And FINALLY, develop hobbies – knitting, calligraphy, etc. (Because they will force me to slow down.)
It’s almost time for bed, but I want to share what I worked on during the weekend….
My Vision for 2013:
I want a year that glorifies God every day. I want to have a deeper relationship with God, journaling my prayers to be able to thank Him at the end of the year for every prayer answered. I want to be a better daughter to my mom, I want to spend quality time with her and share our dreams and struggles. I want to be an encouraging woman to my family first and then to my friends and people around me. I want to be a good administrator of God’s gifts and talents, develop them to the best of my abilities. NEVER forget that it is God who takes the glory for my success and even for my failures. NEVER forget that God is my strength and in Him I can do all things. NEVER forget my identity as a daughter of the Most High God. I want a year full of Grace not perfection.
My word for the year has become several words… Trust, Grace, Action, Love.
Goals for 2013 (still praying to set them or simplify them)
~ Business ~
1. Finish my website and blog (because it’s way overdue and it shows that I have a serious business and not just a hobby)
2. Re set my packaging and pricing list (because I need to have a clear focus of how much I want to earn and how much goes to outsourcing)
3. Schedule blogging time and stick to it (because I enjoy writing and keeping my blog updated shows my recent work)
4. Read the photography books I have and complete the exercises (because I want to get better at my technique and finding my style. And I want to spark my creativity through new exercises in the books)
5. Create a workflow that works for me (because I want to know what needs to be done with each new client and have a clear organization to deliver everything on time)
6. Define my client gifts (from consultation to product delivery) (because I love giving gifts to everyone. I want to make my clients feel special and pampered, I don’t want them to feel like photography is a burden to them but a pleasant experience with their wedding)
7. Set a schedule and stick to it (because I want to have time to focus on what matters)
1. Study my Bible and journal daily (because I’m tired of saying I’ll start next year. Studying my Bible it’s not a race, it’s a lifestyle I want to be closer to God and to develop a deeper relationship with Him)
2. Pray more (because I want to develop a constant communication with God and listen to His voice)
3. Exercise at least 3 times a week (because I want to be strong and fit when I photograph, I don’t want to run out of breath or be sore after a wedding/session. I want my knee and shoulder to stop hurting)
4. Juice during the week (because being slim by genetics won’t be forever. I want to be healthy to have enough energy to get through my days)
5. Don’t let social media suck my time (because there is a life outside of it and I want to be part of it)
6. Write just because more often (because I don’t want to let my feelings drown inside of me, it’s not healthy. I want to write so I can communicate how God has transformed my life through love and grace every single day)
7. Write letters to my future husband, who I don’t know (because I want to remember that he exists, that God has him out there waiting for me. I want to be able to gift him a bunch of letters or notebooks letting him know that I was waiting and praying for him.
8. Schedule dates with my mom (because I really want to have a better relationship with her outside the office)
9. Get back to painting (because it helps me relax and slow down to appreciate the little things in life that make me smile)
10. Laugh more (because it’s good for my health and because I want to allow myself not to take everything so seriously)
This has been the BEST goal setting process I’ve done!! Thank you Lara!! You are a blessing to my life!! xoxo
This series has been such a blessing to me. I have been following along in my journal, but this is my first time posting. For me, I spent the weekend praying about my goals and vision. I am naturally one who takes control and have been bad at letting God be in control. I loved the passage from Jesus Calling this weekend that said “True dependence is not simply asking Me to bless what you have decided to do. It is coming to Me with an open heart, inviting Me to plant desire within you. I may infuse within you a dream that seems far beyond your reach.” How awesome is this statement!!
So, my vision for 2013 is this… Grow. Grow in my knowledge of the bible, grow in my prayer life, and in serving God. I desire for my days to be filled with gratitude, joy, and purpose. I will prayfully make decisions- letting God be in control. I want my life to be filled with less clutter, healthier in body and spirit, and focused on the end goal- glorifying God’s kingdom. I desire to be living fully in the present and focused in those that I love. May my list of ‘what fires me up’ be used daily to live a year of growth in all aspects of my life.
Thank you Lara for such an inspirational series and sharing your heart! I just found your site a week ago and am very thankful.
1. Memorize and dwell on more scripture because this will transform my heart and mind when it gets in my spirit.
2. Save receipts and go over them weekly with Steve to stay accountable because I spend lots of money that we could save for long-term goals.
3. Use a declutter calendar to clean, simplify and organize our home because an organized home is a happy home.
4. Social media free weekends/no phone in church because I spend too much time surfing mindlessly online.
5. Work out twice a week because I want to THRIVE as a mom, wife and daughter.
6. Write for 1 hour a week (on my book) because this dream has been burned in my heart since I was a child. 🙂
I don’t know what I would do without you Mrs. Lara Casey:)
*Run Deseret News Marathon on July 24th. OR Park City, Aug 17th OR Big Cottonwood, Sept 14th
Since ending UV Cross, I’ve never felt more in shape and on such a regulated schedule than while I was training for the St G Marathon. I felt in amazing shape and SOO accomplished during and after finishing the St G Marathon. I saw improvements in my body, health, and mind.
*Paleo Lifestyle for One Full Year: January 8, 2013- January 8, 2014
It’s a maintainable way of living. It’s healthy and light and gives you more energy. It allows you to not be fanatical, but be very aware of the fuel you are putting into your body.
No Carbs: Pasta, Bread
No Sugar, Candy, Treats, Hot Choc
ONE cheat day on the weekend
*In Bed by 11pm, up by 8am (on weekdays)
I know I need my rest. I know that I can not function efficiently on little sleep and that when I do get a full nights rest that I am much more able to work and exercise effectively. I am happier, feel better and am a more patient person.
*5x/wk Cardio, 2x/wk Strength
SET WORKOUT SCHEDULE
Sat: ALWAYS LONG RUN DAY
*On time to church, all 3 meetings, FOCUS
Show my dedication to the Savior by being punctual and showing respect for the opportunity we have to be a part of this amazing gospel and all the blessings we enjoy.
*Temple Attendance 1x/month
Grow closer to the Lord through service in his holy house
*Kneel for morning and evening prayers
I need to focus more and be more respectful when talking to my Savior and growing closer to him through asking and thanking. I want to not give a careless prayer while I’m laying in bed so tired. PLAN for prayer and the opportunity I have to talk and converse with the Savior and receive personal revelation.
*Ask God’s will for me, my life, my situations, etc. Talk, get to know and grow closer to my Savior.
I want to become a better disciple of Christ. I want to know God’s plan for me and follow his will. I want to be the happiest and most effective person I can be in his kingdom. I want to be centered and content that I am living the life my Savior would have me live.
1 day/week dedicated to Preparation: detox, meditation, clearing the clutter, downloading, organizing, planning, cleaning
I gain so much peace in the time I have to detox and write things down and get things done. Don’t answer emails, don’t sit at your computer, don’t edit, don’t do any work apart from organzing yourself and setting yourself up for success for the rest of your week.
I want to remember the experiences I have had and the way I feel about things. I find great solice in writing out my feelings when I am stressed or anxious. I also want to remember happy things and great times, hard things and how I got through them.
Read 1 book/month
I want to know things and grow. I want to be learned and become better from the experiences of others and the excitement of fiction.
*Pay off debt: Wells Fargo CC, Captial One CC, Student Loans
Getting out of debt is a relief, I want to be smart and not live on credit.
I know it’s not alot to save/month, but I know that every little bit helps and this will make me focus more on budgeting and seeing the results of even a few months of discipline.
CHANTEL MARIE 2013
Minimum 3 weddings/month
I want to stay busy and financially able. I want to be booked with not alot of open weekends
1 tutorial/week, 2 big workshops/year
I want to get better my craft, continually be learning and not become stagnant in my style and trend. Evolve
1 styled shoot/month
I know I’ll be doing alot of weddings, but I want to remain close to my desire for fashion shooting. I want to shoot alot of lookbook-type images to prepare for the opportunities I seek for those.
Send out lifestyle/lookbook resume packets
I need to be open and vulnerable, put my feelers out there and I know that I’ll eventually get a chance to shoot what I desire.
Set Schedule for work week (hrs, weekly duties, time slots, etc)
I need to get a better rythmn and flow from what I learned from what worked and didnt work from last year. I’m excited to have a schedule to stick to to streamline my business and balance my life
Get an assistant at least 1 day/week ($12)
Free up time for focusing on my craft and not the organizing part of it!
Write up after every wedding (thoughts about day, couple, family) ADD pic of couple (take pic with me and every couple together)
I want the couple to know how their day was, what I love about them and the blessing I am grateful for of shooting their wedding.
Expense report at the end of every month
Stay on top of accounting and be prepared for tax season! Also, show me how I am spending my money and what I can improve upon!
Monthly playlist for blog followers
A huge inspiration for my work is music; it’s the reason I get alot of the clients I do and how we connect. I want that to be a part of my brand and connect me with my followers and people that enjoy looking at my blog and work.
Weekly quote (tips and inspiration)
Another inspiration for my business, huge inspriation/quote junkie. Becoming inspired and motivated is a huge part of who I am and I want to share that with others.
I am super excited about how many goals are coming out! I shared my vision and goals with my husband today and he thought they were all great and did feel any were ‘questionable’. We even started working on a couple today!!! I hope to add more this week!
My 2013 Goals
1. I want to spend daily time with God specifically at minimum 10-15 minutes per day reading scripture or a devotional because this is the foundation for my life.
2. I want to be in prayer daily first thing in the morning and last thing at night because this is how I talk to God, ask, and give praise.
3. I want to memorize one verse a week to store up God’s word in my heart and mind.
4. I want to find ways to frequently bless my husband so he feels loved and encouraged.
5. I want to prepare myself to be a Godly mother to our child.
6. I want to quit my job at the hospital as soon as possible.
7. I want to create new revenue outlets in my business that don’t require me to leave home so I can replace the money (ideally $800/month) from my hospital job with money from work I love.
8. I want to spend at least 2 hours a week in my craft room to scrapbook, sew, or start a new hobby.
9. I want to keep track of my income, expenses, mileage, and overall budget monthly with tools that keep me organized and efficient.
10. I want to shoot 100% film for lifestyle and family sessions and at least 50% film at weddings.
11. I want to build a brand that is authentic and reflective of me in order to attract my ideal client.
12. I want to be physically healthy by choosing good food and being active.
love this, thank you so much. 🙂 can’t wait to take a few days and really think about this, refine and “why” all my goals.
#MTH2013 Step 9….
Redid my 2013 Vision and am posting my Pinterest link…
Wow.. this has been such an incredible journey… I am so excited to dive in deep to what I’ve put down these past few days. Isaac and I are going away tomorrow on our first ever personal Marriage retreat… the whole vision of this time away for just us was evaluating what worked and what didn’t… so reading your posts was MASSIVE confirmation. We are actually going to go over it together and do this together over the next few days. I will post an update when we return.
Thank you Lara!
Still working through these steps slowly but surely one by one. I have been really challenged not to skip ahead but really give each step the though that it needs! I have been sharing my whole process on my blog in the hopes of encouraging others to make this year the year that they start living intentionally! So blessed by this Lara! My most recent step of what fires me up and my (still in progress) inspiration board is up now. It was such a HUGE motivator for me. I learned more about myself then I thought I would and took some immediate action. I am sharing my progress here: https://shaycochranephotography.com/blog/
I thought about everything for a few days and then wrote everything out yesterday. I was happy about how many things went right last year. I tend to only notice what didn’t. I also was so burnt out I wasn’t sure I could handle any goals, but reading what went wrong for lara really hit home for me. Things went wrong every time I worried, compared myself to others. or tried to be too controlling.
Although a lot went wrong so much went right. I suddenly felt I had enough to build on. I have 4 goals
1 build an inspiring business that brings clients who value our particular skills.
2. Organize – update our systems, clear the clutter, get back my peace of mind.
3. Have hobbies that blow my mind. Yoga, cookie decorating, horseback riding, traveling, a long long list. Go on adventures with mike, with friends, with family. Art, music, yummy food, smoothies, cooking.
4. Strengthen my relationship with mike. Be compassionate. Help him with his dreams. Enjoy planning our wedding. Build up our relationships win friends and family. The best part of 2012 was whenever we celebrated. I want to celebrate more. Have the time to enjoy each other.
These are big inspiring goals for me that make my life mean something and bring me, mike, and the people in our lives joy.
I’m grateful to have gone through the process with all of you and wish you every success.
I was finally able to finish this up! Here the final vision, word, pintrest board, and goals!
Slow down, listen. GIve grace, give forgiveness, JOY! obedience. Cling to God’s words daily. Life transformation by the power of God through His Word and intentional deep relationships. write. influence. less screen time more people time. explore.
1.INVEST IN MY RELATIONSHIP WITH GOD: Daily quiet time with God. God’s word is what molds and changes my life. He will meet me there and speak into my life if I take the time each day to slow down and listen. I will find the best direction there and that set aside time is the greatest fuel for my life.
2.INVEST IN CHARACTER CHANGE: Make an effort daily to try to understand where a person is coming from before passing judgement or getting angry and upset. Give grace because you have received more grace than you can fathom. Forgive seventy x seven. If you dont bitterness will grow and dont give the devil that foot hold.
3.INVEST IN RELATIONSHIPS: Relationships matter. Invest in them. Spending time with Barry and friends and away from the phone and computer is key. Cultivating those relationships and having fun together that is where those life giving moments come from. The laughter, the joy, the community.
4. INVEST IN NEW OPPORTUNITY: Completely let go of my business. Delete my website and facebook fan page. Clear the business clutter from my computer. Clear my external hard drive clutter. I have to completely let that go before I can fully embrace ministry.
5. INVEST IN EDUCATION: Start school to finish my degree in Ministry Leadership. This will build a firm foundation for me as I start becoming a leader of our woman’s group, within the church, and for my writing.
6. INVEST IN CHRIST-CENTERED RELATIONSHIPS: Continue to invest in the woman’s life group I started and write for. Continue investing in accountability partners within that group. Continue deepening those friendships. God is moving in this and He is going to use it. It is encouraging and pushes me deeper.
7. INVEST IN LISTENING: Focus, this year, on becoming a really good listener. To stop talking over people. Stop always having to share your “better” or “relevant” story. STOP and really listen to what that person is trying to say.
8. INVEST IN THE KINGDOM: Write. keep gathering scripture on identity. Write about what I am learning. Write about what is going on in life. Pray for direction. Gather thoughts and assemble whatever it is, in whatever format (bible study, devotional, book?), God is call me to write.
9.INVEST IN TIME WITH BARRY: Explore more with Barry. Go to the ice caves. Take that road trip to Canada and New York. Go paddle board the apostle islands. Paddle board door county. Find beauty and be in awe of it.
10. INVEST IN OUR FAMILY: Start trying to have kids. Know and trust God has His perfect timing.
Let’s DO this 2013!
Goals for 2013
1) Memorize more scripture
2) Train for 1/2 marathon with my man
3) Finish my new blog
4) Finish the new website
5) Be faithful to blog at least 3 times a week
6) Stop comparing
7) Be more intensional in my marriage
8) Manage my time better
9) Get into a schedule with my sweet newborn baby boy
10) Get time in God’s word everyday
Better late than never! This has been an amazing process. So so grateful for it. Could gush about it forever 😉
GOALS for 2013
Develop a personal relationship with Jesus Christ and my Heavenly Father. I want to deepen my testimony of the gospel and strengthen my communication and connection with them. I want to gain confidence that I can seek personal revelation and know that it will be given. I want to understand how I receive personal revelation and I want to gain a clearer vision of what God wants for me and how I can be a tool in his hands. I want my testimony and the gospel to guide everything I do and be a part of my EVERY DAY. To help me accomplish this I want to:
– Attend the temple twice a month
– Prepare for the Sabbath. I want it to truly be a holy day and a day for rest and filling my cup. I can prepare by having my home picked up and not leaving big projects on Saturday. I can have our clothing ready. We need to get up earlier. I’d like to read my scriptures before I go to church. I can read the lessons before or after church
– I want to read the Book of Mormon cover to cover this year. Stay caught up on the reading schedule.
– I want to pray with intention morning and night, expecting to receive an answer and see miracles in my life.
Help my family Come Unto Him. My own salvation means nothing if I don’t help those that mean the most to me get there too. I want my kids to gain a testimony of their own. I want them to know it for themselves and not stand on my faith. I want them to learn by example and see the power that Christ can have first hand in our families lives. I want to prepare them for the world that they must face and fortify them against Satan. Things we can do together:
– Get the kids on board on Saturday night (clean room, bath, clothes)
– Start the day with family prayer (up at 7:15)
– End with family prayer
– Snuggle time with the scriptures
– FHE on Monday nights
– Read more family history stories, write our own
– Pray with Joey every day
Strengthen my marriage to Joey. We have made an eternal commitment and have been promised amazing blessings if we honor those commitments. We have chosen to walk this life together and I want to make the very best of it. We can have a powerful influence for good and strength for each other if we remain the most important thing to each other. This is one of the most valuable investments I can make for my own sake and for my families sake. For my part to strengthen our relationship I will:
– Find a way to serve Joey every day
– Plan a date night at least once a week unless he takes the lead
– Listen to his suggestions without being defensive and use them to make improvements
– Do at least one thing every month unexpected to show him he is important and that I really care. This can include important holidays and his birthday.
Be a better mother. I have been blessed with four beautiful children as well as a lot of knowledge and background. I feel like I am learning more all the time, but still have such a hard time connecting what I know and believe with what I do as a mother. I am not going to get this time back. And I don’t want to just get through it. I want to use this time to connect with each of my kids and give them everything I can of myself. These moments are what my life will be made of and I want them to count. For my sake and theirs. Things I can do:
– Put my phone away between 6:30 – 9 pm
– Hold a family meeting every Sunday. Make it a priority.
– Schedule one on one time with each child every week in our Family Meetings
– Reading and snuggle time at 8 pm every night
– Make their birthdays special – make their gifts more thoughtful
– ***Help my kids discover and build on their strengths
– Help them learn about money – how to earn, save and spend it
– Help them develop good habits: practicing music, homework, hygiene, cleaning up after themselves and hard work.
– Read the parenting books I have and try things from them
Nurture other important relationships in my life. More and more I’ve felt disconnected from real relationships and friendships. I have let Facebook take the place of connecting with real people in real ways. Heavenly Father sent us here to help each other. I want to be a tool for good in his hands. I want to lift others up and be a good friend. Steps I can take to nurture real relationships:
– Connect face to face with a friend at least once a month: girls night, lunch date, etc.
– Do something to support a friend at least once a month: handwritten note, phone call, support an event.
Be a good sister in the gospel. I have a testimony of the gospel and it’s importance and each of us has a part to play. I want to magnify my callings and do my part. I also want to support my husband in his callings:
– Call my visiting teaching sisters and schedule our visit by the 15th. Do a rotating visit if you can. Make an effort to say hi every Sunday. Do something nice on their birthday. Invite them to RS events and say hello when I see them.
– Have the music ready by the Wednesday before each Sunday. Plan at least one musical number a month.
– Stop complaining about scouts. Just stop. Make his events a priority. Look at the calendar when planning stuff.
Be healthy. I want to have the energy I need to take care of my family and business. I want to be able to run and play and dance. I want to do these things with my grandkids. I want to be able to focus on what is most important and not on the pain that my body is causing me. Things I can do:
– Exercise 3-6 times per week: ideally 3 aerobic sessions and 2 resistance training sessions.
– Do yoga at least once a week – in a studio if possible, but even at home if needed.
– Think before you eat – Food is Fuel. What’s most important? How will this effect you? Think portion sizes, sugar content, processed, refined, dairy, wheat? More fruits, veggies and water
– Learn more about essential oils. When I or my family has a health problem, try oils first.
– Love to be 135 by June 1st
Make my home a haven for myself, my children and my family. I want it to be a peaceful place to be. I need less clutter and more simplicity in my life – less stuff and more memories. I want to make our home work for us and not the other way around. I want it to be a place where everyone is excited to come back to. Things I can do:
– Shine my sink every night
– Zones – Start flying. Put together your control journal and see if you can make it work for you
– Put stuff away when you are done with it. Clean up as you go! It’s gotta be done now or later so make it easier for yourself later!!!
– Simplify – seriously. Start getting rid of stuff that does work for you! Your time, your family, your sanity and health are worth more than you stuff! Let it go!!!
– Every time I buy something, get rid of something else.
– Think about it for a while before you buy it. There will probably be another sale later. Good things come to those who wait.
Nurture my soul. I need less anxiety and worry in my life. I have so many wonderful things to focus on and live for. I want to learn and grow and live a purposeful life. These things I want to do for myself and my mental well being:
– Spend less time on Facebook – Much less time! Find good limits and stick to them. Ask yourself if your time there will help you meet your other goals: build business, simplify/sell stuff, specific questions, networking, advice, events. Or are you going for a distraction: curious, easy habit, “nothing” else to do, random commenting, feeding ego, complaining.
– Check the news less. Much of it isn’t relevant to my life and my purpose. If it is I will probably hear about it somewhere. Most of the time it just stresses me out. Try limiting it to once a week?
– Stop biting my nails. Maybe try keeping them “done”. Focus on breathing and relaxing when you feel the need to bite the.
– Read the books on my nightstand (early childhood, parenting)
– Read two other books a month for my lamplight group and my EC book club.
– Finish at least one more CCRR Endorsement this year.
– Make time for a weekly planning session on Sunday.
Record my life. I enjoy blogging and journaling and scrapbooking. I want to leave a record of my life for my children and grandchildren. I find value in documenting moments and events. Things I can do:
– Project life. Fill the book! Picture a day? Maybe, but just do it. Document something.
– Blog book. Print out what I have done.
– Journal or blog weekly. Sundays is a great time for this.
Make our money work for us and secure our financial house. We have been on shaky financial ground since we got married. We have almost always had enough resources but struggled to manage them in ways that help us meet our goals. Last year was an amazing year for us financially but we didn’t take nearly as much advantage of it as we could have. We want to be able to help others and we want to be prepared for harder times that could come. To do this I can:
– Pay off all our credit cards but my citi card this year, cutting our consumer debt in half. To do this we have to pay at least $2000 a month on our credit cards (combined total for ALL).
– Review budget weekly on Sundays with Joey after the kids go to bed or after our family meeting.
– Continue to contribute to the emergency savings fund and college funds
– Do budget in YNAB monthly by 20th for the month to come – work towards getting a month ahead on budget and AmEx card.
– No new debt
I want to build my business and make it work for my family. I want to set limits so it continues to be a good thing and doesn’t take over our lives. I want to be the best daycare in Cedar City and be confident in it’s value. I want to find clients that can see the value and are a good match for this program. Things I need to do:
– Address the pricing structure. It needs to be less complicated and time consuming for me. It needs to be clear and fair for parents. It also needs to reflect the value that families are receiving when they come here
– Evaluate policies and procedures and make changes where needed. Tailor the policies towards the kind of clients you want to have. The kind that respect you and your boundaries and value what you are trying to do here. The kind of parents that are invested in their children and their well being.
– Address the things that drive you nuts: late payments, no shows, late parents, bringing sick children.
I want my work space to be pleasant for kids and adults alike. I want it to be clean, organized and useful.
Be a good boss – train better employees – pay them better
Routines that work
Thank you so much for taking us through the process of setting 2013 goals. I’ve made my lists, created a Pinterest board and a vision board for my office. I revisit my lists monthly to ensure I remain in tact. This process has taken me to a whole different level as it relates to business, personal and spiritual.