Jan 10, 2014
2014 GOAL SETTING, PART 6: MAKE IT HAPPEN
Faith, Giveaway, Goal Setting, Motivation, My Books, Personal
First of all, if you are just joining us, welcome! While we might be ten days into the new year, it’s never ever too late to begin something new, let something go, or get focused on what matters. #2014GoalSetting can happen anytime. We’re not setting fleeting resolutions for the year, we’re setting good life goals here. Good goals give you freedom and focus.
The 2014 Goal Setting steps so far so you can get started:
Part 1: Let’s Do This!
Part 2: Get Fired Up.
Part 3: Your 2014 Vision
Part 4: Get Radical
Part 5: Set Good Goals
In my reading this morning, my 2014 goals — or goal — hit me. Here is what I read:
Peter speaking to a large crowd: “God has raised this Jesus to life, and we are all witnesses of it. … Therefore let all Israel be assured of this: God has made this Jesus, whom you crucified, both Lord and Messiah.” When the people heard this, they were cut to the heart and said to Peter and the other apostles, “Brothers, what shall we do?”
Peter replied, “Repent and be baptized, every one of you, in the name of Jesus Christ for the forgiveness of your sins. And you will receive the gift of the Holy Spirit. The promise is for you and your children and for all who are far off—for all whom the Lord our God will call.”
With many other words he warned them; and he pleaded with them, “Save yourselves from this corrupt generation.” Those who accepted his message were baptized, and about three thousand were added to their number that day.
And this is what lights my heart on fire…
They devoted themselves to the apostles’ teaching and to fellowship, to the breaking of bread and to prayer. Everyone was filled with awe at the many wonders and signs performed by the apostles. All the believers were together and had everything in common. They sold property and possessions to give to anyone who had need. Every day they continued to meet together in the temple courts. They broke bread in their homes and ate together with glad and sincere hearts, praising God and enjoying the favor of all the people. And the Lord added to their number daily those who were being saved. (Acts 2:32-47 NIV)
If you’ve been reading my blog the last couple years, you know that this section of scripture has always been like fire in my heart. That life of giving and in community and living with just what they needed (and many times less than that) was their response to knowing Him. They heard. They believed. Without hesitation, they acted. Their lifestyle drastically changed because of knowing Him.
You see, we (me included) like to change external things in order to change the internal things. External changes can definitely ignite the internal at times. A new hair cut or clean house can make us feel fresh and new. Moving furniture around and getting new office supplies can give us a boost. But, there are deeper layers. He can peel back all of your layers and make them new. Belief changes our hearts and causes us to ACT on what matters. It causes a bigger shift than new office supplies can ever ignite.
For me, I feel that God has put it on my heart to make this the “Year of Clear.” To see God’s heart clearly and my heart clearly — no matter how messy sometimes — and to keep aligning my heart with His. My 2014 Vision is to love my neighbor as myself by sharing the clear truth that has changed and continues to change me. My 2014 Vision is to couple boldness with tenderness, knowing I am weak and that I can’t do anything good without Him, and to speak the truth in love to others. I want to use all of the gifts He has given me and give them all away. To borrow a powerful phrase from my friends Jessi and Hayley, my 2014 Vision is to be “wild and free” for Him in spreading the Gospel and living in His joy. My 2014 Vision is to see through His lenses and do something — everything — about it. I am praying for heart change and the fruit of that heart change to multiply love and point directly to Him.
I am so grateful that I intentionally set goals last year. My 2014 goals are not new, per se, but they are further refined and CLEAR. This process has been so powerful for me! Before you dive into setting your own goals, be sure to go through all of the previous posts and steps. Make sure your goals are centered on what matters and that you has a strong WHY with each goal. For the sake of space, I didn’t wrote my WHY for you in every box below, but I wrote them for myself. My 2014 Goals:
This is just a start for me and I will refine these as I pray on them. Remember that this is a process and you should be changing and updating your goals along the way. Just to keep you (and me!) accountable, do this… put these dates as reminders on your calendars as check-in points: April 10, July 10, and October 10. I put them on my calendar too and I will check back in here to let you know how my goals are progressing and I will want to hear about yours. All of your comments in this series have been so inspiring! There is SO much greatness waiting for you in this new year! Be sure to comment here with your 2014 Goals, too! Share them and you will be more accountable and likely inspire someone else. Don’t be a lurker anymore, friends. Jump in : )
If you need an extra kick in the pants to make this happen, I’m going to be giving away a $20 gift code to my shop and goodies from other shops I love on EVERY POST in this series to one lucky commenter per post. You can win multiple times and you can increase your chances of winning by:
– Pinning this post or any in the series
– Blogging or in any way sharing this post/series
– For all entires, link back here to www.LaraCasey.com/blog and use the #2014GoalSettinghashtag. You are welcome to use graphics from my posts!
– Lastly, leave a comment saying you did any of the above. You can enter as many times as you like on all posts! I’m going to choose some extra winners along the way, too, for some special surprises : )
A peek at some of the prizes in this series….
– Winners for all posts will be selected on January 31, so you have plenty of time to spread the word and make it happen! I want you — yes YOU — to make what matters happen in your life. So, help me spread the word and let’s get all our friends in on this for accountability! Making things happen is always better when shared : ) YAHOO!!!
So, tell me! What are your 2014 Goals?
P.S. So, you have your goals and you are asking, NOW WHAT? How do you tackle them? Where do you start? That post is up next, but you are far more capable than you think. My next post in a nutshell: begin anywhere. Tiny bold steps forward build momentum to make things happen! Get to it!
I pinned, tweeted and Facebooked! Love your heart, Lara!
Oh Lara, your goals fire me up FOR you! I can’t believe I’m admitting this on the inter webs but last night I had an ugly cry about how much I love this life and how I just want to give everything I have to the Lord and praise Him for the hard stuff because it makes the good so much sweeter.
Love your goals… go Lara go! You are so thoughtful in what you set out to do, and it inspires me to be more intentional (my word for the year) with my life. Here are my 2014 goals, thus far (in no specific order):
*Be intentional with my time/words/actions. Ask myself, “Is this bettering me or someone else?” I want to live with intention so that I can accomplish more of the important stuff and be the best version of myself for loved ones and friends. (See: https://glessnerphotography.com/blog/2014/1/8/intention-greensboro-wedding-photographer)
*Plan at least 2 dates a month with Josh so that we can genuinely connect more, learn each other’s hearts, and strengthen our marriage to better serve one another. This can be as small as a simple coffee date at Starbucks or a walk around the neighborhood together.
*Make healthy decisions. I want to make my body it’s best so that I feel my best (physically/mentally/emotionally) for myself and others around me.
*Spend time in prayer, meditation, and God’s word every day. I want to train my heart and mind to rely on Him instead of worry and control. He always provides, despite my worry or fear. “Ask, and it will be given to you; seek, and you will find; knock, and it will be opened to you. “For everyone who asks receives, and he who seeks finds, and to him who knocks it will be opened.” (Matthew 7:7-8)
*Take a fun anniversary adventure to celebrate 5 years of marriage with a relationship far stronger and more mature now than it was when we started.
*Continue to pay off debt so that we can be free from the stress of money and live and give freely to others.
*Read one book a month that betters me or my business so that I can grow and teach others with my newfound knowledge.
*Grow my photography business in a way that blesses my family and my clients. I want to provide couples and families with a legacy of love shown in photographs and be able to contribute to my own family financially (in order to pay off debt).
*Do something creative each day so that I am actively using the gifts given me and doing something that fires me up.
*Limit internet and social media so that I can be present and focus on the people right in front of me and be intentional with my time with them.
Some of my 2014 goals:
1. Read 50 books this year 4 each month.
2. Drink 6-7 liters of water every day.
3. Complete Baby Step 1 of Dave Ramsey’s Financial Peace University course by June 1st.
4. Write 1,000 words a day 6 days a week.
5. Everyday learn ways to become, act like,& embody the 4 words that are my theme for 2014: celebrate, abundance, rest, & fun!
I tweeted and pinned!
Some of my goals include:
finding my internet voice, successfully establishing my brand, and finding a career path that fires me up!
Lara thank you so much for writing this series, it helpped me make so much happen in 2013 and I’m excited to get started on 2014. As I was reading my 2013 goals, after writing my 2014 goals and that some of the goals were the same from last year, but I had made achieved them and acted on it. And then it hit me my goals were so rooted in what I wanted what mattered most to me that I just wanted more of the same things. More healthy, more god, more love just in diffrent ways from what i wanted last year . Different actions steps. I noticed the same things in your goals. It made me feel like I’m in the right direction in the right path. Thank you for all you do!
Yay! I’m so encouraged to hear this!!
Lara.. I love your heart and your words of encouragement. I can’t seem to shake this question for you…You asked this question of those that want to submit a story for your #larabook: Tell me about a hard decision you had to make. How did you feel before you made the decision? What were your fears? How did you feel after diving in and what were the results? QUESTION: What would you say to the person who was faced with a life changing decision but didn’t chose what they felt God was calling them to? Does God still have grace for that person to move forward despite their disobedience when they had the chance to be like Moses to trust and do what God ask them to do?
Absolutely : ) Over and over in that same book of Exodus we see God’s people choose other things than what He desires and they are punished for those things. They are disciplined and made to give sacrifices and purify themselves. God did all of this to instill fear in His people and to show them the way… to show them how much they need Him. And then… centuries later, Jesus comes. He was the last sacrifice. He paid the price already for our mistakes. God calls us to turn to Him and love Him and seek His forgiveness when we turn from His plan (which we will — we are human) and He gives His grace freely : ) That is why I said God is good. “While we were still sinners, Christ died for us.” I am praying for you and with you and am so glad you asked this question!! ‘For we do not have a high priest who cannot sympathize with our weaknesses, but One who has been tempted in all things as we are, yet without sin. Therefore let us draw near with confidence to the throne of grace, so that we may receive mercy and find grace to help in time of need.’ – Hebrews 4:15-16
Thank you Lara. This helps more than you know. I stand firm on these truths. May God continue to bless you richly. Praying for you and with you too 🙂
Thank you so much for sharing your heart and encouraging so many people! I’m sharing your blog with all my friends & family, encouraging them to jump in.
Lara, some of my goals have your exact wording, I hope that’s ok!!
Goals for 2014:
1. To turn to Jesus first thing in the morning. And to know God more by learning about Him in the Bible and by spending time in prayer. Why? Because knowing God means I will know what is right and good and He will direct my path. God is my compass. I want to know everything I can possibly know about God so I can align my life with His will. This will facilitate a change for the better in every aspect of my life, especially for the people in my life. I want to study the Bible and not just read it passively but also understand what it says. I want to pray without ceasing and have the Lord always on my mind. This means more time being focused and less time being distracted. This also means seeking guidance from others who have wisdom. I need to be intentional about asking for this guidance. Furthermore, incorporating Sabbath Sundays into my year, which means being committed to Sundays being a day of rest for church, lots of time with Jesus, eating yummy food, reading, spending time with close friends..
2. Living with less and being intentional with how I spend “my” money. Why? Because ultimately this money is not mine. It’s God’s. I want to use my money in a way that’s honoring to Him, not for a sweater “just because.” I want to be more gracious about giving money away this year, even if it’s beyond my tithe. I do NOT want to be possessive of my money. I give/surrender it to the Lord.
3. Being a dedicated small group leader. Whatever this looks like in the eyes of the Lord. I want to invest in my co-leader and encourage the girls in my small group on their walks with Christ. Making baked goods might be an awesome way to show I care! And spending time together outside of small group if that’s what they want to do. I just want to be a LIGHT in their lives that points to Jesus.
4. Being a dedicated discipler. This means that I meet Melissa every week and talk about life with her and encourage her and pray for her throughout the week.
5. Being dedicated to my studies and doing my best in classes… joyfully 🙂 No complaining with how much studying & work I have to do – get it DONE. Fall in love with studying and spending time with the Lord by learning about different subjects. Be aware of when projects are due and when tests are coming up, so I can complete these tasks and not wait until the last minute. Focus. Study. Get things done!
6. Intentionality with roommates and friends. Instead of just spending time together as roommates because we have nothing to do, I want to actually plan things! Like going out to dinner or a movie, crafting, making dinner, exercising, baking, praying, serving, going to church… Why? Because I need and crave this community and Angie & Hallie are wonderful girls to invest in. Also, I know that spending more time with John and his roommates would mean a lot to John, so maybe planning a movie night, ultimate Frisbee night, or cooking dinner for them might be good ideas! Finally, I really want to share more meals with people! So instead of just cooking for myself, having a friend over to help me cook and eat with me would be very fun and encourage fellowship.
…. So this year, overall, my main goals are to be intentional with my time to cultivate community with those around me and be very studious because this is my last year of undergrad! : )
Lara, I pinned your goals. What I love most about your goals is that you remind me that What Matters Most is the relationship with my God and that my life brings him glory.
Just got my powersheets in the mail today and I can’t wait to use them to refine my goals. Here are a few of mine:
Weekly at home date nights
Weekly family game nights
Grow my etsy shop
Sell at 3 craft shows
I pinned this post. So convicting! It has really caused me to stop and take inventory of how I’m spending my time/resources and what goals are worthy of being pursued this year. Thanks for this!
1:Be Fit – Loose Weight
2: Be Bold for Jesus -Know Him and His plan
3: Be Creative
4.Follow My Budget
Each of these things have subcategories and the most important part was making sure that I had a clear “why” behind each goal.
I have already been able to make some good chooses for this year by holding them up to my goals and asking myself if the thing in question furthered those goals or not. I was able to walk away feeling confident that I had made the right decision in passing something up.
This is amazing and exactly what I needed. I want to publish my own book of poetry, get into grad school and really trust God’s plan. Thank you Lara!
My goals for 2014:
1. MBA completion: I want to complete my MBA program with good grades without stressing myself out too much over the next five months. I want to enjoy the time spent in the program and learn from the individuals I’m surrounded with on a weekly basis. I want to manage the workload by staying organized, continuing to pray, and giving the “overwhelmingness” over to God. I want to continue to stay productive and focused on my full-time position as well. After graduation in May, I want to listen and determine how to best use the education that I have received. Others have invested in me, and I want to give them a return for their faithfulness (spoken like a true business student).
2. Being open: I want to open myself up more to people and new experiences in life. I want to let go of the past and realize that I have an amazing/impressive future ahead of me. I want to trust in God’s timing (especially with dating) and not force any dreams to happen prior to their right season.
3. Self-love: I want to take of myself thoroughly (physically, emotionally, spiritually, etc.). I want to listen to myself and my heart and trust in the decisions that I make. I want to give to God my worries and overcome my anxiety and stressful days.
4. Praying bold prayers: I want to spend more time with God consistently. I want to pray bold prayers and open my heart up to all the possibilities that are available to me. I want to pray for others and find ways to help others. I want to continue to spread the example my family has set and help others in unique ways.
5. Entrepreneurship: I want to research, pray, and discover the areas of entrepreneurship. In my heart, I know there is something I need to do, but I do not have the entire picture yet or the exact steps I need to take. I want to continue to listen on how to tackle this dream in my heart and turn into something I can be provide. I want to have actions with my ideas.
Thanks Lara for sharing your goals! I’m excited for the accountability your blog and power sheets provide. It helps with making dreams happen.
I shared your pin!!
I recently found your blog and tools and I am so thankful to The Lord for this encouragement. I have been wrestling with how to move towards goals without it becoming my standard and savior, and you have modeled grace so well.
I have pinned and blogged
So great to meet you, Heather! : )
Yes!! I blogged, I pinned, I instagrammed, I’m a believer and a new fan!!
Yes!! I blogged, I pinned, I instagrammed, I’m a believer and a new fan!! I am a mom of two toddlers, and a full time teacher. I’m also a born and raised North Carolinian!!
Absolutely LOVE this Lara!!! You are such an AMAZING example of listening to your heart and doing work that matters! We all need more examples of this in our lives! Thank you for sharing your heart in such a special way! This year, Ryan and I are focused on going out and doing the work that is going to touch the lives of others. We want to be an example of a loving marriage and share our gifts with others! We have learned that sometimes we focus too much on the planning, and instead we could be doing and trusting more in God and the plan he has for us. This is definitely going to be a year of letting go and letting God! So grateful for your heart Lara! Sending you, Ari, and Grace big hugs!!!
One of my goals for the first 6 months of 2014 is to write at least 10 things (articles, guest posts, e-mails) that absolutely scare me. Basically this is writing anything public that IS NOT my blog. I want to grow this year, and “my playing small is certainly not serving the world.” Thanks for all you do, Lara! You are so inspirational to me!
My heart feels so FULL reading through your goals, and the goals of others. Reading through all this I really feel God saying “Yes, these are my children and this is good.” There are a lot of downsides to technology and computers, but the fellowship on your blog posts and how clearly you are pointing to God is definitely one of the bright spots.
Okay moving on to my goals. I loved setting these, and then discussing and praying about them with my husband.
1. Read the Bible and journal everyday. I need to fill my mind with truth, and be connected to my savior. Taking time to read the Bible helps me to listen to God and follow his guidance. Journaling helps me to process and work through thoughts instead of them building up in my head.
(If anyone needs a great Bible reading plan to start off the new year try Soul Detox on the Bible app.)
2. Start my own business. Starting my own business will allow me to do something I really enjoy and use the gifts God has given me!
3. Be more intentional with relationships. People are important. I want to build stronger relationships with family and friends and not allow them to be forgotten in the shuffle.
4. Have my siblings over at least once a month. This is related to the last goal, but I want stronger relationships with my siblings. I also want our home to feel open to them, and show them love.
5. Seek the Lord MORE. I rely on myself TOO MUCH. I want this year to be his, and not battle stress and worry by myself.
Love your goals, can’t wait to finish mine!
Lara- you are such an inspiration and God’s hand is all over you! I am happy to know you from a distance! I’ve followed your blog during this time and my responses can be found on my own blog, https://sinceretouch.wordpress.com
and pin board: https://www.pinterest.com/sinceretouch/making-things-happen-in-2014/
1. Commit to daily prayer and quiet time
2. Be JOYFUL and content in all circumstances
3. Eliminate fears, self doubt, and comparison…always trusting God.
4. Be a light to my family
5. Be a good steward of God’s money
6. Become intentional as a wife
I’ve facebooked! I am excited to share your steps with others and hope they get as much from the process as I have.
Some of my 2014 goals, in a nutshell…
– to pray more, about everything and anything. God is in control
– to pray and read the bible daily with my boys
– to take better care of myself, including eating well, early nights and not giving myself a hard time
– planning meals for the week ahead so I can be more present and enjoy what matters most with my family
– speak encouragement to others
I pinned this on Pinterest
I shared on FB
My goals for 2014 are:
-spend more time with God and getting closer to Him
-recovery from an ED(only with God’s help)
-spend more time loving my beautiful daughter that God blessed me with
Kesha I am praying of your ED recovery. I struggled with the same when I was in college and I felt like it was a battle that would never end at times. But God is faithful and it is long gone. I thought it would define my entire life and instead it shaped it. Praying for you! He will bring you through this.
Your goals are so inspirational! I am always SO inspired every time I click on this page and my Powersheets have been amazing for me!! My goals are long but in a nutshell 1- be prayerful before acting 2.grow into my role as mother and wife even more so this year with less fear of being imperfect and with more joy in the fact I am able to be both a mother and wife which are both true blessings 3. stop letting “things” and stuff control so much of my time and energy–to learn to live with less, happily
Still in the process of creating/praying over my goals. But this place is always a breath of fresh air. Thank you. It gives me such encouragement to be different…to trust in Him for the good portion.
I blogged about your goals setting process!! 🙂
And Pinned the above quote by Karen Lamb. Love that! So true.
Also..forgot to put my blog address in last comment…it is
One of my biggest goals in the last few months (that has certainly carry in to 2014 for me) is learning to work towards the successes I want for myself, while eliminating stressors, by cutting my laziness and embracing my happiness. It hasn’t been easy, that’s for sure. But I’ve been at it for months now, and I can honestly see improvement in my self, and I can truly feel how – through positively changing my self – I am able to bring a positive force to others in my life. And it is so awesome.
The biggest thing for me, as far as tackling my goals, and really getting my hands dirty, is laying out steps for growth and improvement daily, that culminates in a month, or two, or six. To me, it is the day by day work, that makes the biggest, most permanent changes.
I also pinned this!
I shared on Fbook, Twitter and Pinterest
1. To delve fully into EACH of the parables in the bible
2. To have a servants heart
3. To stop saying I’m mad
4. To photograph 30 weddings
5. To be more organized in my financial life
6. To have PLANNED purposeful date nights with my husband and be a more gentle wife
7. To begin Hot Yoga
I pinned this post 🙂
I’ve been reading your blog for about six months and I LOVE it. When I read, I feel like I’m having an encouraging and inspiring conversation with a friend who us actually on my wavelength (I have wonderful friends, but none with a love of goal setting, writing, mothering, and a passion to do big things & small things well…basically, you remind me of me and make me feel like my dreams and personality are actually normal and totally cool!) Anyway, I never comment, but today I felt encouraged to leave you one and hopefully “spur you on” like you spur and encourage me on!. I am so thrilled for your book and can’t wait to purchase it.
Here are the goals or foundations set for myself this year:
1. Gracefully serve my family and be a hands on, present, thoughtful, intentional mom.
-Intentionally structure our weeks so that Zoe and I spend time each week in music, learning about/experiencing nature, physical activity, reading, and social activities.
-Take weekly field trips to the Children’s Museum, zoo, parks, etc.
-Swim lessons in the late spring or early summer
-Create a good eating plan for Zoe as we phase bottles out.
-Build on Zoe’s “rules” as needed to keep her safe.
-Begin to introduce spiritual concepts to her at an age-appropriate level (“pray,” etc.) along with concepts of basic manners (“please,” “thank you,” giving hugs and caring for friends, etc.)
-Continue to give her lots of time with her extended family and help her learn their names through FaceTime and photos.
-As the one who spends the most time in a caregiving role, do my best to create a family culture that is loving, peaceful, gentle, & fun, where Zoe feels safe, secure, loved, & valued. Zoe won’t benefit from a ton of formal instruction on faith and values this year—but I want these things to be so obvious by the way that we live that she has a foundation for the future. I’m with her the most, so I have to live it the most.
2. Be a thoughtful, loving, present wife who prioritizes David’s needs.
-Pay attention to what he says.
-Purposefully save energy for him.
-Make dates a financial priority.
-Continue doing devotions together each week and pray together more often.
-Speak his love language.
3. Physical health: I want to care for myself spiritually, emotionally, and physically. Physical health isn’t the most important thing in my life, but the way that I treat my body affects the other parts of my life, my emotions, and my ability to have the energy I want to have for my family. I want my physical state to enable me to confidently tackle everything else in my life…not to distract me or slow me down.
-I want to be intentionally active most days of the week. Ideally, I would attend my stroller fitness class 2x/week and work out 1-2 other times per week at our gym or walking 2-3 times per week. I feel the best physically and mentally when I do this.
-Eat healthfully because it gives me the most energy…but still eat dessert regularly. I unintentionally lost weight when Zoe was born and spent a good part of the year struggling not to lose more weight and to put weight back on. I am back at a healthy weight for me and need to continue to eat more than what I am actually hungry for so that I can be as healthy as possible for my family.
4. Spiritual health and personal passions:
-Continue daily morning quiet times.
-Continue listening to sermon podcasts when I get the chance during the day.
-Use my new prayer journal a few times a week to be more organized with my prayer life.
-Try to carve out two times a week for writing. Improve my writing and clarify my sense of purpose for my writing. Read writers who inspire me and encourage me to be better.
You are one of those! Thanks so much for doing this series, Lara. .
Yay! I’m so grateful to meet you, Sarah!!
I posted my goals for 2014 on my blog! Linking back to your blog for #goalsetting https://gratefulwithtwo.blogspot.com/2014/01/fresh-start-goals-for-2014.html
Wow, just found your site, and I’m hooked! Thanks for the giveaway opportunity! Now to dig through the archives. 🙂
I pinned some of the prizes and shared about this great blog series. https://www.pinterest.com/pin/280208408039771320/
Take a step of faith in the area of writing. Expand my blog platform and work toward publishing an ebook.
Focus on being more intentional with my time – less media and more time spent around the kitchen table
Eat healthier and get more active.
Read more books then I did last year — with a bucket goal to read 100 books
Memorize scripture – make this a family goal.
Send out more handwritten letters of encouragement to others
Find an area of service in community that I am passionate about and could help with. Serve Jesus more intentionally.
Join or start a book club
Continue to save to go back to Africa as a volunteer for Mwangaza.
Be more intentional with my PRAISE and thankfulness to God – Adding more to the list then ever before.
Get in-sync with my husband on a spiritual level
Once a month find time to get out and write without distraction.
Shared on FB & pinterest! So excited about this series! Just barely getting started, but already seeing changes!
Hi Lara! I have followed along in a notebook before I got my power sheets this weekend. I am having a blast transferring everything over. The power sheets are so much more amazing than I had even expected (and I had high expectations)! I just have a question about how you condense your 20-ish goals into just five for the power sheets. I could get most of the goals to fit under 5 (such as ones focused on God, marriage, family/friends, finances, business, health) but I cannot get it down to just 5. How do you deal with that when you have many ongoing goals that will take longer than just six months to complete? I’d love advice from anyone!
Feel free to add blank paper and write more goals so you customize this for yourself. : ) I’ll be talking a bit about this in the webinar on Wednesday (how I’m taking my goals here and just putting the key goals in my PowerSheets) but there are no rules – just guidelines. I hope that helps and I’m excited for you!!!
I tweeted and pinned!
Just recently discovered you through IG and so blessed by your heart for people, the Lord, and your fiery talent for motivating and inspiring. We all have goals, but few of us cross the “inbetween” and actually get there. Thanks for making the inbetween seem doable! A few of my goals:
1. cultivate relationships. (marriage, kiddos, friendships, church ministry, etc)
2. read 1 inspirational book and 1 pleasure book each month
3. meal plan! (and subseqently help grocery budget!)
4. be spirit led with encouraging others with His love and truth
5. be obedient to take the leaps of faith as He leads and trust that He is GOOD – He will see me through 🙂
Yay Ashlie! So great to meet you!!
My #2014GoalSetting process, including my goals, are on my blog! Loving this series, Lara! You are an inspiration! 🙂
Yay fired up!!!!#2014GoalSetting
A friend of mine told me about you and looking forward to reading your book. Your blog has been an encouragement and it’s been a breath of fresh air to read your post and to see all the things The Lord doing in and through you.
Here are my 2014 Goals
Year of Risk, No fear and Simplicity
“Look carefully then how you walk, not as unwise but as wise, making the best use of the time, because the days are evil.” ~Ephesians 5:15-16
“Though the fig tree should not blossom,
nor fruit be on the vines,
the produce of the olive fail
and the fields yield no food,
the flock be cut off from the fold
and there be no herd in the stalls,
yet I will rejoice in the Lord;
I will take joy in the God of my salvation.” ~ Habakkuk 3:17-18
“teaching them to observe all that I have commanded you. And behold, I am with you always, to the end of the age.” ~Matthew 28:20
– to rejoice in who I am in Jesus
– to live in continue trusting that Jesus is the Author and Finisher of my faith
– to intentionally spend more time in praying than worrying
– to wholeheartedly love, give help, support and encouragement to my husband
– to be intentionally living a life centered in the gospel and good news as I care, love and educate our 5 children
– to lead the women in our ministry team for the glory of God and pointing them to Jesus
– to intentionally recruit, equip, encourage and make room for other women to serve/love other women
-to intentionally live a missional life in our small community
– to step up with our effort in helping A21, Traffick911 and StillCreek/restore her in bringing awareness of human trafficking, helping rescuing and restoring
-to read 6 books
Lara, my heart just gets filled up each time I come to your blog. THANK YOU, truly, from the bottom of my heart for letting the Lord use you. I feel like stumbling on your blog, a few months ago, has led me to some real life change, launching me into truly asking the Lord to change my heart, get me out of “survival mode” and back to living my life to the fullest. I’m still working through my power sheets, but am loving the process. I’m following along!
I face booked this!
I pinned it!
Hmm, still chewing on mine… Excited for the PowerSheets webinar tonight! (my time)
FYI – I tried to share via Facebook with a friend who is pursuing Life Coaching as a business. The interface did not let me post via a private message or wall, but I did email the link to this blog to her!
A comment from another sweet friend (from the South!) who I have referred this series to: “I was checking out the first step in goal setting, I like the first step being chronicling where you HAVE been. This makes sense on so many levels!”
pinned this post! Thanks for this series, it was a perfect compliment to your power sheets!!!
My 2014 goals…
1. Grow as a godly woman. Quiet time with Jesus will be needed now more than ever. I will be giving a lot of myself away as a new mom and only God can fill me back up from within. This looks like daily prayer and becoming stronger in my prayer life, journaling, devotions, singing praise songs, and listening to sermons.
2. Be intentional. As a mom, wife, and friend I desire my focus to be on those that I love and less filled with technology. I want to be aware of how my time is spent and live my days, truly living and feeling moments.
3. Live healthy. I am ready to become strong, breathe fresh air, spend time outside and be active for our family. This includes eating real, colorful food and spending time in the kitchen, gardening, running a 5k on July 4th, going hiking, backpacking, and simply getting outdoors.
4. Develop godly friendships and connection with family. It is easy for me to be in solitude and I do enjoy quiet time, but I also realize how important community and connection is. This year I want of I open myself up more to others through interaction, fellowship, and connection.
5. Encourage. I am a lover of words and happy mail, so this year my goal is to send 2 encouragement postcards each month to uplift someone else. Encouraging others and showing them love is important.
Thank you Lara for writing the 2014 series and most importantly for doing so with God centered at it all!
Im excited for the webinar. I am having trouble getting clear and getting going!
I have a really, really great feeling about 2014. I made my goals a while ago (I wanted to have a super clear head about them) and my biggest one is to know God more. To really seek Him daily, and not just in my Bible time, but in everything I do.
I also want to get finances on track with the hubs. It’s easy since we don’t have kids to just kind of go along, but babies will be made soon and it needs to get in order 🙂
I also want to host dinner parties! We’re moving soon, so we’ll be looking for a new church and I’m longing for a really great community of women to do life with.
Thanks for all your encouragement!!
Your goals are always so inspiring & are so well thought-out and articulate. Thank you so much for this series and for sharing your heart with all of us! I blogged about my 2014 goals here (https://stephseekingjoy.wordpress.com/2014/01/01/happy-2014/), and my overarching goal for 2014 is straight from John 3:30 – “He must become greater; I must become less.”
Dear Lara, I read your posts everyday and youve been a big influence on me. I did the contentment challenge & set boundaries by donating a Bunch of unused clothing and deleting unnecessary social media accounts from October to present. I want to read your book when it come out, where all of your teachings and thoughts will all be documented into one handy book. I live in India and I’d like to know if your book is releasing internationally/worldwide. Thank you.
Hi, Anusha! It’s so great to hear all of these awesome updates! : ) Yes, my book will be on Amazon and will ship internationally : )
Oh goodness, where to start! This is my second time around using the power sheets and I feel as though I finally had an “ah ha” moment! This year is going to go a little different. This year my focus is on God, not me. This year I am not going to scramble to try and come up with the answers for my future or where I think I should be but to listen and to live each day for Him and what he is putting on my heart. My word for this year is “PRESENT” because I have found that in the past I get paralyzed by simply thinking to much. I have been nodding along and agreeing every time I read the phrase “progress not perfection” from both you and Emily Ley but it wasn’t until 2 weeks ago that the meaning actually clicked with me!
My goals for this year are:
– To get to know God better by reading the Bible from start to finish, (this has been on my heart for a veryyy long time and hearing of your progress really helped me begin it!!), through prayer, and attending Church (which is my radical!).
– To not take my body for granted by being active daily and fueling it with better foods.
– To be intentional, purposeful, and productive with my time. In a year from now I will be much happier if I choose reading, spending time with friends and family, going for a walk, even tidying up over social media and TV when I get home from work now.
-Sticking to a budget and giving back to certain charitable organizations.
I was unable to attend the power sheets webinar live but at the end of the recording someone asked how to connect with people other than using the Facebook group. I also do not use Facebook but would love to join in with the group that shared their emails for encouragement and accountability! If anyone is interested or was part of that exchange please let me know! Thank you!
Thank you so much for sharing your knowledge on goal setting throughout this series, I’m enjoying pouring through it and am looking forward to my Power Sheets arriving to get all my goals onto paper. Most of my 2014 goals center around growing my business and continuing to be grateful for loving my job. Thanks again!
My goals for 2014…
– to spend more time and energy on what matters (quality time with my family and friends, my education, my health)
– to live a healthy lifestyle (positive thoughts, drink more water, exercise more)
– to cherish the moments I have as they happen and be present
– to be an example of grace (be kind, happy, and pleasant to be with. spread joy!)
Thank you Lara! I also shared on Pinterest!
Pinned! I really love this series. it is just what I need.
Thank you so much for your blog! I found it only some weeks ago and it changed my life in so many ways… it’s absolutely amazing! You’re such an inspiration! Thank you!
Posted to Pinterest and Instagram! Thank you for the challenge! I am a beauty consultant for Mary Kay and have a 4 month old with a chef for a hubby! We are adjusting to life as I have transitioned to work from home mommy and this is the “kick in the pants” that I needed. Grateful for your daily inspirations.
Goals 2014- Be in His word Daily repeatedly. Pray His word.
Give God my FIRSTS (time, money, thoughts)
Live it out! Stop talking and start moving! In all areas, I know my mind is the battlefield and over analyzing will NOT have a stronghold on me anymore in Jesus name.
Claim my spot as a director for MK.. for His glory not mine. Directorship for me means influencing women. It means changing lives. It means giving hope to hopelessness. It means having fun when that mom hasn’t had a break all day. It means blessing women with the opportunity to stay home and be the wife and mother God calls us to be. It’s having the means to bless family in financial burden.
Believe Him. Not just IN Him but believe HIM that He is bigger and greater and in full power and that He has set forth a good and perfect path. Believe Him. (inspired from Beth Moore ‘s “Praying God’s Word”
Thank you thank you for everything you do. Praying for you and what’s to be an inspiring book!
Pinned and Facebooked! Thanks for this encouragement to set truly important goals. One of my main goals is to be honest and actually write down my goals (looking forward to using your MTH pages!) to truly commit and hold myself accountable in them.
I tweeted about this https://twitter.com/adriennepomeroy/status/424667638464131073 too!
my goal for 2014 is to launch a photography business based on serving others and documenting the JOY and beauty I see in the world to those I am blessed to know.
i pinned! now onto do the hard work!
I’m still going through my PowerSheets, but one goal I have is to read through Proverbs four times this year. I’ve gone through so many business books, but ultimate wisdom comes from God, and He has so much of it in His word!
One of our goals is to get new sites professionally branded and developed, but here we are with humble beginnings:
https://sjhenein.wordpress.com/2014/01/21/2014-goal-setting/ Now…onto Making it Happen 🙂 God bless you, Lara!
Focus word: CONTENT
– To be CONTENT with God’s sovereignty
– To be CONTENT in the beauty of my marriage
– To be CONTENT in the blessing of being a mother
– To be CONTENT in God’s direction for the book I’m writing
– To be CONTENT in God’s plans for Code Blue (the mentoring program I co-founded)
These may not sound like action goals to some, but they are to me. Being content in these areas will take some work on my part because I know that if I am constantly letting distractions take me away from these areas then I won’t be content; I’ll be anxious. I am refusing to allow worry and fear stop be from experiencing the peace that comes with resting in God’s sovereignty and His grace when it comes to these goals.
Wow! I love the way you focus your goals on contentment! So inspiring!
LARA!!! Just like the song…you speak life…you speak love…and you speak the truth!!! After only a short week of finding your site (via IG) and reading the Challenge…I’ve started the photography business of my dreams!!! I’ve developed action steps and feel for the first time empowered and able to achieve a life long goal!! Thank you for sharing. Much love and gratitude, Mara
one simple goal, so i better get this right. pray. more. constantly. incessantly. re-establishing a rapport with my sweet Lord.
pinned + IG!
Tweeted with the hash tag. I love the power sheets 🙂
Shared your goal series in our local MTH group on Facebook! 🙂
I’m so excited about my goals after working through the Power Sheets and giving them some time to really develop! (Posted my goals on your last blog post.) So excited about taking the small steps, between feeding a baby and enjoying my time with her being so young, to make LIFE happen this year. Thanks so much, Lara, for pouring out your heart through this series! I loved it last year and even more this year!
This series and the PowerSheets have helped me redeem the time in this phase of my life. Thank you so much! It’s amazing how often my vision and goals stick in my mind throughout each day. It gives me hope during the sticky, rough parts . I blogged my goals this evening, and I’m so excited to start my PowerSheets in February! Thanks again, Lara! https://pilgrimsandals.wordpress.com/2014/01/31/2014-goals-and-how-i-almost-didnt-buy-a-planner/
I am so proud to of made time for this series, it is so inspiring and powerful and helps me to see things clearly. I am so grateful to you for that Lara!
My word for 2014 is PRESENT. To BE present. This somehow seems to keep coming back to me constantly. Connecting with God daily and being here in the “now” with whatever I am doing.
I know I want to accomplish a lot but putting all that pressure on myself never helps me to truly shine.
So my focus is simple for now, I am allowing myself time to develop this further and give myself permission to refine and evolve with my vision.
I am focused on simplifying my life and holding God and gratitude at the center of my family.
I finally blogged my goals for this year. Again, thank you so much for having this series open to everyone! https://distractedlydomestic.blogspot.com/2014/01/goals.html
Waayyyy late to this party, but better late than never, right? My 2014 goals, in no particular order:
1. Teach, coach, lead, and encourage others in fitness and healthy lifestyle choices.
2. Debut as a professional dance instructor, choreographer, and performer.
3. Step into leadership roles to which God has called me.
4. Cultivate and deepen the personal relationships God has blessed me with.
5. Take my debt seriously and implement an action plan to begin the journey to being debt free!
HOORAY!!! I just kicked of my Powersheets yesterday. I feel empowered and ready to take care of biz–this is such a great feeling after so much time wasted being frozen in fear with where to start.
And want to hear something fun?? Today TWO opportunities crossed my path which are game-changers! I do not think this coincidental. Well played, Jesus 🙂
Lara, thanks for your wonderful goal-setting inspiration! I learned about your powersheets back in November from a friend and while I didn’t buy any for this year, I followed along with this goal-setting series on my own blog. I had a bit of a tough start to 2014 so I kept delaying the process, until yesterday I decided to make April 1 my own January 1 and start the new year all over again with the resolutions I developed. Thanks so much for taking the time to share your process! (https://sparklesandtalents.com/category/uncategorized/2014goalsetting/)